Inner Peace and Security
19. 1 John 5:11
And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. —1 John 5:11
As a college sophomore, I was mentored by an upperclassman who gave me these two verses, 1 John 5:11-12, to memorize. He called them two of the best verses in the Bible about assurance of salvation. As long as I knew these verses, he said, I’d never doubt being saved. I’ve come back to them many times, and I’m thankful for what’s not in them. There is no maybe, if, might, or hope so…
This is the testimony. This is what God Himself has declared as truth. This is the record. These are the facts.
He has… It’s already done. This has been irrevocably accomplished.
He has given us… It’s not just a generic promise that He has given eternal life. It includes that personal pronoun us. And us includes you and me.
He has given us eternal life. While the whole Bible teaches that God is eternal and He bestows everlasting life on His children, it’s John who is the apostle of eternal life. He used the phrase twenty-three times in His writing.
And this life is in His Son. Jesus not only gives us life; He is the Source and Creator of life. And yet—paradox of the ages—He died to conquer death, and because He lives, we live also.
John on Eternal Life
- Everyone who believes on Him will not perish but have eternal life. (John 3:16)
- The one who believes in the Son has eternal life. (John 3:36)
- Anyone who hears My word and believes Him who sent Me has eternal life. (John 5:24)
- I assure you: Anyone who believes has eternal life. (John 6:47)
- Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. (John 6:68)
- I gave them eternal life, and they will never perish. (John 10:28)
- This is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and the One You have sent—Jesus Christ. (John 17:3)
- We… declare to you the eternal life. (1 John 1:2)
- And this is the promise that He Himself made to us: eternal life. (1 John 2:25)
- And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. (1 John 5:11)
- I have written these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life. (1 John 5:13)
Our hope is not hung upon such an untwisted thread as, “I imagine so,” or “It is likely,” but the cable, the strong tow of our fastened anchor, is the oath and promise of Him who is eternal verity. Our salvation is fastened with God’s own hand, and with Christ’s own strength, to the strong stake of God’s unchangeable nature. —Samuel Rutherford
100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know by Heart.
Please follow my blog Bruce’s Bible Blog
See my Amazon Author Page: Bruce’s Amazon Author Page
Bruce’s Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bruce.dinsman
1 Year Bible on Bruce’s Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KPJBZ5L/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_bibl_vppi_i0
Bruce’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/pacislappraisal